Lizzie’s training schedule is packed with cross-training in other sports. In the past, she competed as a para rower and wheelchair racer, and she still uses both sports for fun and fitness.
Since January 2017 Lizzie has also taken part in disability gymnastics (women’s artistic). When she started she was unable to move around the gym without assistance but in June 2018 she took part in her first ever competition, taking silver on vault. She is now working towards the British Disability Gymnastics Championships in October 2018, where she aims to compete on all apparatus and as an all-around gymnast.
Lizzie also enjoys trying new equestrian experiences, such as side saddle riding. She rode side saddle at the RDA National Championships in 2017 (dressage), having won the RDA Dressage Anywhere Online Championship 2017 riding a test side saddle, and rode aside in the RDA SEIB Search for a Star showing series in 2017.
At the Hartpury qualifying show for the 2017 SEIB series, she qualified in second place for the final at Addington, riding Rolo. Eight pairs qualified in total, and Lizzie and Rolo were placed second again in the final. It was thanks to the generosity of Philippa Kemp-Welch (who loaned a saddle and other equipment) and Katy Downing (who loaned a habit and other clothing, and gave a great deal of advice and assistance) that Lizzie was able to ride side saddle, which helped the pair to stand out a bit more!
For a sample of photos from her cross-training, please scroll down below results.
- June 2018 – Colchester Adult Gymnastics Competition – 2nd on vault, Women’s Novice category (18+)
- September 2017 – RDA SEIB Search for a Star Championship, Addington Manor, 2nd place, Rolo
- July 2017 – RDA SEIB Search for a Star Qualifier, Hartpury College, 2nd place, Rolo
- 2017 East of England Disability Athletics – Female Wheelchair Champion [100m, 200m, 400m, 1500m, 3000m]
- 2016 East of England Disability Athletics – Overall Wheelchair Champion [100m, 200m, 400m, 1500m, 3000m]
- 2016 Cambridgeshire Athletics Association Wheelchair Champion [100m, 800m, 1 mile]
- 2015 East of England Disability Athletics – Overall Wheelchair Champion [100m, 200m, 400m, 800m]
- 2015 Great Ouse Marathon [Para-rowing record holder]
- 2015, 2016 & 2017 Grand East Anglian Run [10k Wheelchair winner and record holder]
- 2015 & 2016 Perkins Great Eastern Run [Half-marathon Wheelchair winner and record holder]
- 2016 World Half-Marathon Championships [First wheelchair finisher; unofficial wheelchair race]
- 2015 Cambridge Regatta – Champion Para-rower
- 2014 City of Oxford Royal Regatta – Champion Para-rower
- 2014 Sudbury International Regatta – Champion Para-rower